We the undersigned thank all organisations, NGOs, media and individuals for joining today’s “Global Day of Action” event in solidarity with the Rohingya people.
Despite international outcries the Burmese government is trying to use the world’s most oppressive “Burma Citizenship Law of 1982” on the homeless and traumatized Rohingya people whilst most of their documents were burned down in the violence. This is another design of the government to hoodwink the international community.
Since June 2012:
· Many thousands of Rohingya have been killed.
· Thousands of Rohingya are missing.
· Thousands of homes have been destroyed.
· Hundreds of women have been raped.
· More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes.
· Hundreds and thousands of Rohingya have been living under siege while most of them suffering from starvation and diseases.
· Rohingya refugees and internally displaced are blocked from receiving adequate food, shelters, medical treatment and other humanitarian aids.
· A new system of apartheid against Rohingya is being introduced and practised.
Burmese government has not only manifestly failed to protect the Rohingya population but it has also been a primary force behind the persecution and destruction of them. Thus the “responsibility to protect Rohingya” lies with the international community. We, therefore, urge upon the international community, UN, OIC, EU, ASEAN, UK, US and all Burma’s neighbours for the followings:
1. Put pressure on the Burmese government to stop all violence and intimidation against Rohingyas.
2. Support sending UN Peacekeeping Force and International Observers to Arakan.
3. Unhindered delivery of humanitarian aids to the victims.
4. Support for the establishment of a UN Commission of Inquiry in order to establish the true facts and bring those responsible to justice.
5. Put pressure on the government of Burma to repeal and replace the 1982 Burma citizenship Law with a law in line with international law standards and human rights principles.
Signatories on this statement
Arakan Rohingya National Organisation (ARNO) +880 15584 8691
Burmese Rohingya Organisation UK (BROUK) +44 7888714866
Burmese Rohingya Association Japan (BRAJ) +81 8030835327
Burmese Rohingya Community in Australia (BRCA) +614 32574315
Burmese Rohingya Association Deutschland (BRAD) +49 1523361084
Burmese Rohingya Association in Thailand (BRAT) +668 79772045
Burmese Rohingya Community in Denmark ( BRCD) +45 22556897
Burmese Rohingya Community in Netherlands (BRCNL) +31 615033663
Rohingya League for Democracy Burma (RLDB) + 880 1674030911
Rohingya Community in Norway (RCN) + 47 92428989
Rohingya Society Malaysia (RSM) +60 122727002